Wednesday, January 27, 2010

January 26, 2010

A day that will go down in history.
(or at least in my journals, and here, haha)
A day I could not write about before today, because I was so terrified it could not possibly happen.

For a bookworm like me, having the opportunity to hear an author I admire speak is nothing short of magical.
Having the opportunity to hear that author speak, and then have them sign my favorite book is SQUEAL INDUCING, among other things.

Luckily for me, Mara discovered that Augusten Burroughs  was going to be in town, speaking at Butler University.
Even luckier for me, she shared this information, put up with my insane self freaking out for DAYS, drove our giddy selves to the location, and sat with me in the best seats available *2nd row!* for AN HOUR before the even started.  (thank you thank you thank you, Mara)
Unluckily for her, I am a selfish spazz and completely missed the opportunity to get a picture of her with the man himself.

But here's what I did manage to get:










$50 to the person who can figure out what the word in the middle is!




(this is almost embarrassing. almost)


Even more important then having him sign the book, was hearing his insight.
One of the last things he spoke about was the "pendulum inside your chest" that I quote from his most recent book in the post below.
"I think I wrote that in a book somewhere" he says.
I very nearly jumped out of my seat.

So, here's to paying more attention to my 'pendulum',
to doing what I want,
and not letting others control how I feel.
Here's to Magical Thinking,
and to Augusten.

1 comment:

mhansen said...

It is bugging me that I can't figure out that word! You should send him that photo and ask. I'm serious. haha.

I'm SO happy that experience happened. Hopefully this means that we broke the "author curse". We are three for three since Mr. Vonnegut.