Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mine

[Augusten Burroughs, 'You Better Not Cry']

"I struggled in my apartment that night, his phone number in my hand. I knew that if I called him, that would be it - my life would change. I had never felt such an irrational thing about a person I'd only just met. But I knew it was true.
My attraction had been immediate and profound. And it had nothing to do with the way he looked. My attraction was to what resided between his lines.
And attraction is our most ancient drive, it is why we are. Attraction is the very point of gravity; timespace itself bends to allow it. It is attraction in its pure form that holds the galaxy together.
Attraction is our glue.

-

It was reckless and insane to feel this way about a person I didn't even know. My mind was hurling itself against the walls of my skull in protest. But beneath my sternum that night, I felt a kind of wisdom. I very nearly heard advice: Acceptance, when it comes, arrives in waves; Listen with your chest. You will feel a pendulum swing within you, favoring one direction or another. And that is your answer. The answer is always inside your chest. The right choice weighs more. That's how you know. It causes you to lean in its direction.
I thought, I don't know who he is, but I know he is mine."





3 comments:

Corinne said...

aww...

mhansen said...

This makes me want to read the rest of the book. I got my shift switched, so we are definitely on for Tuesday. We will talk before then. I am SO excited!!!!

Melanie said...

He's amazing for sure. If only I could write what I feel, that amazingly.